Week 8 AnnouncementsSunday, September 30 2018
Week 8 Announcements
This week was one for the ages! We split the squad for only the second time ever and were so impressed with how everyone competed. At Antioch, on our most challenging course, the Eagles stepped up with our best races this season. The JV Girls got the action started with Ashley Whitis once again leading the way. The junior ran a smart race, moving up all race to secure a 15th place finish. Behind her a group of freshmen and a sophomore continued to show tremendous growth. Sarah Lucier, Gretchen Good, Kayla Dieringer, and Sophia Goodale all finished in the top 30 and within 30 seconds of each other! Aidan Gillespie led the way for the F/S Boys. The sophomore moved up 16 spots over the last 2 miles to finish in the top 20. Ty Dwyer finished in the top 50 with Jayson Seiflow, Ethan Goode, and David Migas also finishing in the top 100. We also had many wonderful races in the Open. Using a relaxed, controlled start, many Eagles moved up swiftly throughout the race. Sean Humpa improved by almost 4 minutes since last year. The JR moved from 38th to 14th throughout the race. Jay Patel and Jacob Jarvis both earned top 50 finishes on the day. Overall, almost everyone significantly improved their time from Tuesday.
We were just as successful in Peoria. In a field of 33 teams, the Varsity girls used a smooth and relaxed start to finish in 3rd place! Brooke Stromsland set a new PR and broke her own SCHOOL RECORD as she narrowly finished in 2nd! Olivia Schmitt's controlled start produced a furious finish from the Junior as she finished 24th in a season best. Alex Bryant closed hard to set a new PR and was followed closely by Rae Dwyer. Dwyer's time was a season best by almost a minute! Simone Lippmann closed our scoring in 77th with a season best. Morgan Gillespie & Hannah Grant finshed as our 6th and 7th with both earning season bests! The Boys Varsity put together arguably the best TEAM performance in school history! The Boys finished 8th in a loaded field of 42 teams, with 3 of the top 4 ranked teams and 12 in the top 25! All 7 runners earned season bests with 6 earning lifetime personal bests. Jack Erwin ran a 34 second PR and finished 24th. Owen Wenberg also had a big day with a 41st place finish. Jack Engel, RJ Migas, and Charlie Halberg all finished within 12 seconds of each other to close our scoring. Erwin, Wenberg, Engel, and Nathan Rolla all improved by over 30 seconds. Halberg and Migas took over 10 seconds off of their bests with Talon Knauf running a 30 second season best! Historically the top 5 moved into the top 14 runners in Lakes History. Erwin moves past Kael Moran for #3 All Time, Wenberg is #6, Engel #10, Migas #11, and Halberg #14. A very exciting day for all of our racers in both Peoria and Antioch. This weekend set the table for an exciting finish to our season. Please check out the info below as we inch closer to championship season!
Shout Out: Brooke Stromsland, Alex Bryant, Jack Erwin, Owen Wenberg, Jack Engel, RJ Migas, Charlie Halberg, Nathan Rolla, Ethan Goode, Drew Knuettel, Ethan Carr, Evan Selby, and Ian Halterman who all earned personal bests this weekend.
Shout Out: Brooke Stromsland for breaking her own school record!! Liam Faustino, Jacob Jarvis, Jonas Balman, Ethan Carr, Olivia Schmitt, Ashley Whitis, and Sarah Lucier for owning the last 400m at their respective races!!
- End of Season Banquet is on Monday, November 12th at 6:30pm. A flyer will be sent out soon with information for payment and other event details. Volunteer spots will be added to sign up genius, stay tuned for more details.
- Parent Breakfast/ Senior Recognition will be on Saturday, October 13th at 8:15pm. The meet is at LCHS. We will honor our Seniors starting around 8:45pm.
- The last JV meet will be on Tuesday, October 16th. Athletes are still expected to practice after this date. Please check with a coach for individual plans.
- There will be a bus for athletes who are not racing to attend both Regionals and Sectionals. We expect athletes to attend these meets to support their teammates. Please plan to be there.
- Please see our attendance policy for expectations for injured athletes and for athletes leaving a meet early. Thank you for your understanding.
- Video Game Party on Friday from 12 to 2pm in the Upper Library. Athletes are responsible for bringing their own systems and accessories. All athletes are welcome.
- The Pasta Party will be hosted this week at the Empen residence (821 Longwood Dr , Lake Villa) on Friday.
- Please visit Sign Up Genius to bring food for a Pasta Party or Parent Breakfast.
- Our last team Pasta Party will be on Friday, October 12th.
- Monday - Wednesday we will practice from 3 to 5pm.
- Thursday we will practice from 3 to 4:45pm.
- Friday JV will practice from 12 to 1:23pm OR athletes may do their premeet on their own and attend the Video Game Party instead.
- Friday Varsity will practice from 3:20 to 4:45pm
- Monday, October 8th is Columbus Day. Varsity athletes meet at the NLCC Conference Course at 7am for a workout. JV & F/S Athletes are expected to get in a run on their own. JV & F/S Athletes may join Varsity on campus for their run.
- Click here for the workouts for the week.
- Tuesday we race at Cook Memorial Park in Wauconda.
- This meet will be a triangular with Wauconda and Grant.
- Park is across the street from the High School.
- All athletes will race!
- Boys race at 4:45pm
- Girls race at 5:15pm
- Saturday we race at Heritage Park in the Wheeling Invitational
- Girls F/S race is at 9am
- Schedule is rolling with the following races beginning ASAP
- Parking – There will be parking available for spectators in the South Lot, as well as the North lot, and the Village of Wheeling Lot. PLEASE DO NOT PARK in St. Joseph the Worker CHURCH YOU WILL GET TOWED!!!!
Previous NEWS Articles (located under the MEDIA tab)
Photos (located under the MEDIA tab)
Course Maps (located under the CROSS COUNTRY tab)
Race Splits (located under the TRAINING LOG tab)