Week 10 AnnouncementsMonday, October 16 2017
WEEK 10 ANNOUNCEMENTS
Saturday was one for the record books. The Girls Varsity took home their first ever NLCC Championship!! Brooke Stromsland led the way as she battled state caliber runners Fatima Giron and Eva Cardy. The Lakes Freshman took 2nd overall in a new personal best! Also finishing in the top 10 were Juniors Simone Lippmann and Megan Knuettel. Freshman Alex Bryant and Junior Morgan Gillespie were also in the top 15, helping to give the Eagles a 12 point victory. Earning All Conference honors were Stromsland (2), Lippmann (9), Knuettel (10), Bryant (14), Gillespie (15), and Hannah Grant (20). In the JV race, Tegan Baker led wire to wire to take the victory in a new personal best! The soggy, sloppy course did not deter the lady eagles as 9 runners earned personal bests: Stromsland, Baker, Danica Dortch, Anna Polak, Kayla Deringer, Saoirse Boyd, Lauren Orie, Jocelyn Rodriguez, and Julienne Parreno.
The Varsity Boys narrowly missed taking home their own crown as they were upset by rival Antioch by 5 points. Ethan Schommer and Owen Wenberg continued to lead the way for the team. Schommer battled in the lead pack for most of the race and found himself securing a 6th place finish. Wenberg moved up throughout the race, running consistent splits and even passing a runner in the last 50 meters to take home 8th. RJ Migas, Talon Knauf, and Charlie Halberg rounded out the scoring for the Eagles as they each took home All NLCC honors. Jack Engel led the JV Boys with an outstanding new personal best. The Freshman saved his best for last as ran his fastest mile and passed 7 runners in the last mile to take 12th. Ty Dwyer and Tim Smith also finished in the top 20. Sean Humpa led the way for the Open Boys in new personal record. The sophomore moved up throughout the race to finish 7th overall. Jay Seiflow, Colin Monge, and Drew Knuettel also ran outstanding races as they earned personal records. Riley Menges and Cade Empen were on the move in the last mile, passing over 11 runner each! Overall, many athletes ran outstanding races. The team will matchup with Antioch next Saturday in what will be a showdown for the Regional crown. The Eagles last won a Regional in 2009.
BIG Shout-Out to our Parents for the Parent Breakfast and Senior Recognition. Other than the rain it was a bunch of fun! Thanks to Jen Decker, Tracy Dwyer, and Steve Schommer for the organization.
Lastly, this is the last week for non-regional competitors. Some runners will be asked to continue training throughout the postseason. Everyone else should take the opportunity to allow their body the time to heal. Every runner should take about 2 to 3 weeks off (or light training). Please consult with Coach West or Coach Shepherd about time off and for off season training help. We would also love to have everyone out to support the team at Regionals (Fox River Park) and Sectionals (Kaneland).
* Awards Banquet is Monday, November 13th. Please turn in banquet money ASAP. Information for the banquet can be found here.
* We want your pictures! Please contact Coach Shepherd (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any pictures this season and especially from the NLCC meet. We would love to share them. Thanks!
* Click here for the week 10 schedule
* Sign up for the Nike Cross Regional meet is now open. Any runner interested in participating in the post season race should sign up. This NOT an official Lakes XC race, just a fun opportunity for anyone to partake in after the season.
* Uniform turn in for JV runners is on Thursday. Please wash your uniform before turning it in. We will NOT accept wet uniforms.
Runner of the Week
Boys - Aidan Gillespie (Week 3), Liam Faustino (Week 4), Charlie Halberg (Week 5), Drew Knuettel (Week 5), Owen Wenberg (Week 6), Jay Seiflow (Week 6), Daniel Gfesser (Week 7), Jay Patel (Week 7), Adrian Kupiec (Week 8), Rudra Patel (Week 8), Jimmy Mroczka (Week 9), Matt Stockhorst (Week 9)
Girls - Jocelyn Rodriguez (Week 3), Brooke Stromsland (Week 4), Morgan Gillespie (Week 5), Tegan Baker (Week 5), Jules Parreno (Week 6), Michelle Menconi (Week 7), Hannah Grant (Week 8), Alex Bryant (Week 9), Skyler Randolph (Week 9)
Tuesday (10/17): JV Prospect Invite. EVERYONE not racing at Regionals will participate.
- Dismissed from 8th period at 2:20
- Bus at 2:30; must have signed form from 8th period teacher
Thursday (10/19): JV 1 mile time trial. This is not mandatory, but we would love for everyone to end their season with a new mile PR. Uniform turn in will follow the completion of the time trial.
Saturday (10/21): Regionals (Top 7 Varsity Athletes compete)
- Minibus for Varsity athletes is 8am
- Bus for JV Athletes is at 8:42am. This is optional, but we would love for everyone to come support the team. Wear LAKES gear.
Planning athlete meals and hydration: Link for Pre Race Fueling Ideas PowerPoint
GEAR (for both boys and girls teams:
* To keep our uniforms in excellent condition, wash them in cold water and hang dry.